Agendas for future and previous board meetings

June 2019

El Dorado Hills Bowmen
Meeting Minutes
June 12, 2019

Call to Order

  • The meeting was held at Steve’s Pizza, 3941 Park Dr #100, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762. Due to a misunderstanding with the establishment, the meeting was held in the general dining area, which resulted in considerable difficulties in managing the agenda and discussions. Nevertheless, President Peterson called order at approximately 6:30 PM, then did his best to convey discussion topics, despite the din, among the scattered tables. These conditions resulted in a considerably abridged meeting.

Attendance

  • Attending were the following Board members: President Bill Peterson, Range Manager Greg Landon, Treasurer Glenda Chastain, Secretary Sal Segura and Member-at-Large Tom Grube. Members Pete Johnson, Dan Healy, David Still, Dennis Shaw, Scott Smith, Melissa and John Hayes, Rob and Darlene Kumstel, Ken Martzen and Cindy Yamasaki, Jason Spears, Dennis Klomp and Eric Baggesen were also in attendance. Mr. Peterson welcomed new members to the Club and expressed his pleasure at the number of members in attendance.

Secretary Report

  • Secretary Segura related the Club has accrued an additional 9 memberships since the last meeting, with the following breakdown:
    Adult Family Senior Youth Life/Board
    1 7 1 0 0

    Membership now stands at 208 accounts, representing 282 members.

Treasurer Report

  • Ms. Chastain provided an overview of the Club’s financials. The accounts all remain in good stead; the only significant expense this period was approximately $2,000 paid out for weed control. Income included the proceeds from two Community Services District (CSD) Try Archery classes.

Old Business

    • Mr. Peterson provided the latest regarding progress on the new storage building. The
      most significant delays have involved county/fire/school and other building permitting fees. The initial fee estimate was approximately $17,000. Thanks to Bill’s and Joe Pettus’ efforts, and the assistance of Supervisor John Hidahl, county fees have now been waived. Remaining fees total roughly $2,500. Bill will be attending a meeting with the involved schools and he and Joe will continue to work on the fire department fees in an attempt to reduce fees even further.
      The permit application process is complete and is pending only final settlement of the fee schedule. Members Tony Dunn Sr. and Jr. anticipate starting excavation for the footings in mid-July, with installation of concrete forms and rebar following July 20 th . Member Tom Brower has secured a good rate for the concrete necessary for our floor slab and was able to get use of a concrete pumper donated.
      The permitting process has resulted in other Range upgrades necessary to meet updated fire codes. These involve installation of a water storage tank and widening of the access road – approximately $3,000 in unanticipated costs. Despite these additional hurdles, the project continues forward!
    • Smarter Archers – The original date for the next installment of these workshop, Bare
      Shaft Tuning, was not met due to a variety of conflicts. Although Mr. Peterson intended to select an alternative date, a discussion and date selection was not possible at this meeting.

New Business

    • 3D Club Fun Shoot – interest has been expressed in holding a shoot, primarily for
      members. Guests could be charged for a wrist band entry. Unfortunately, conditions at the
      meeting did not allow for the necessary discussion to take place on this item.
    • As previously noted, the Club website is in dire need of attention. Necessary
      improvements include streamlining the application/renewal, email subscription, and payment processes; timely posting updates and event information; culling outdated materials and notices, improving its visual appeal; and effecting regular maintenance. The Club is hoping to find members who will help in determining the best approach to making this very necessary revamp happen, then overseeing its maintenance.

Events

    • CSD Try Archery Instruction – classes continue through the summer. Sessions are
      scheduled for July 11 and August 10. Member/Instructor James Myers welcomes help, and members were reminded that proceeds from these classes contribute to the Club’s coffers.
    • CSD Plug-In Event/Food Truck Festival – The CSD will be celebrating activation of their
      parking lot solar panel relays on June 19th . This celebration will include food trucks and live music. The CSD has invited Bowmen to staff an informational booth. Mr. Peterson and Secretary Segura have committed to doing so from 4 to 8 PM. Prior participation at these events has enabled us to make more of EDH’s residents aware of the Range and undoubtedly contributed to membership. Members were encouraged to attend and assist, if possible.

Maintenance Projects

    • Bale Replacement – 161 bales of hay have been scheduled for delivery on June 17 th .
      These will replace all the considerably weathered backers presently on the Range. Notices have been posted/sent via the website, Facebook and MailChimp soliciting volunteers to help in this labor-intensive task.
    • As previously discussed, several soft spots have developed along the access road. It is
      expected that the backhoe operator hired to dig the new building footings will be asked to expand his scope of work to include fixing the road, and perhaps, widen the sections of the road necessary to comply with the new fire codes.

Miscellaneous/Good of the Order

  • Several members have expressed an interest in organizing regular, weekly member shoots starting in April next year. The success of this proposal will depend on follow-through and involvement of the organizers. This topic will be discussed further at the next meeting,
    under more favorable conditions.
  • Member Dan Murphy has offered to donate a 4’ x 8’ utility trailer to the Club. Member Roger Chan has also donated two compound and a take-down recurve bow. The former will substitute for our smaller trailers, which are in poor repair. The latter donation will likely be
    auctioned off at an event.
  • Given the significant difficulties encountered in getting Steve’s Pizza to reserve the space necessary to hold our meetings, Mr. Peterson has decided to explore other venues.
    Members should pay special attention to notices advising of the change in location for future meetings.

Adjournment

  • President Peterson adjourned the meeting at 7:24 PM.

May 2019

I. Call to Order
The meeting originally slated for April 10 th was cancelled. This meeting was held at Mountain Mikes Pizza, 2222 Francisco Drive, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762. Mr. James Myers called the meeting to order at approximately 6:30 PM.

II. Attendance
The following Board members were present: Vice President James Myers, Range Manager Greg Landon, Treasurer Glenda Chastain and Secretary Sal Segura. Members Joe Pettus, David Still, Jason Spears, Scott Smith, Eric Land and Tony Dunn were also on hand to welcome two new members: Brennan Boatsman and Robert Doyle.

III. Secretary’s Report
Mr. Segura reported that since the April 13 th meeting, 14 memberships have been added. They breakdown as follows:
Adult Family Senior Youth Life/Board
6 7 1 0 0
Club totals are now at 199 accounts, representing 362 individual members.

IV. Treasurer’s Report
Ms. Chastain related that member dues and donation (Frog) income continues to be historically higher than average. She also indicated that final tally of the Open Shoot exceeded expectations and provided figures on the Train-to-Hunt proceeds. Expenses for the month of March included reimbursement for the Open Shoot concession purchases, miscellaneous target expenses, portable toilet fees, and a donation to CHS/FCCLA. Significant, anticipated expenses include payment for weed control and a variety of fees linked to the new building.

V. Old Business
a) Mr. Pettus provided a recap of the storage building construction progress. Although building components were delivered on April 17 th (many thanks to all who helped with unloading, especially member Eric Land, who operated the lift), there have been several unexpected delays. These include the need to secure additional engineering specifications from the manufacturer, and issues related to the permitting process itself. Permit approval has required not only coordination with the county building authorities, but with the Fire Marshall’s Office. Additionally, the amount of applicable fees is significant and petitioning for waivers will entail cooperation from the school district, the County Board of Supervisors (BOS) and the fire department. Mr. Pettus has tentatively secured a waiver of related fire fees; however, the fire department’s approval requires construction of a vehicle turn-out along the access road, posing an additional expense. Supervisor Hidhal has managed to include our request for a county fee waiver on the agenda for the BOS meeting scheduled for May 21 and, upon return, Mr. Peterson will continue to work on securing other waivers.
b) Train-to-Hunt (TTH) – Mr. Myers recognized the efforts of various volunteers who helped make the event a success. He reported that the event, which took place March 22-24th , drew a total of 30 competitors, including 9 from the Club. Congratulations to members David Still, Garrett Dutter, James Myers, Matt Brozek, Max Fregoso, and Mason Klomp for finishing. Special congratulations to Pam Brozek for 1 st Place Women's Masters, Dennis Klomp for 2nd Place Men’s Masters/2nd Place Men’s Team, and Kelly Fregoso for 1st Place Women’s Super Masters/1st Place Women’s Overall! Though registration numbers just made the cut-off, the TTH coordinators were so pleased with the facility and support provided by the Bowmen they have already placed next year’s event on the circuit. James related that the event spurred a lot of local interest and has resulted in members scheduling Sunday morning workouts at the Range. Everyone is invited to join them prepare for next year’s competition!

VI. New Business
a) Several membership and recognition issues were discussed.
b) Mr. Segura briefed the membership on the California Deer Association’s (CDA)
approach to the club for participation at their Women & Wine 4 Wildlife event being held at the Cielo Estate Winery on July 20 th . He reported that the Club has donated a Family Membership as a drawing prize and Mr. Myers has kindly volunteered his time to provide the winner with two archery lessons. Involvement with the CDA is another example of the networking the Club is working on to enhance membership and liaisons with like-minded organizations. The event sounds like a fun time and members are encouraged to attend.

VII. Events
a) The Club does not have any pending events; however, Mr. Landon reminded members that he and others are coordinating Club outings to other club shoots. The next outing is the Bay Area’s Red Devil Shoot on May 19 th . Details are being posted on the Club’s Facebook page and website.
b) Mr. Myers reported that the CSD Classes continue, with the next scheduled for May 11th. Classes are also scheduled for June, July and August. Members are welcome to come out and help, observe or just pass the word out and help recruit new archers!
c) James related that he, Joe Pettus and Gary Crain recently hosted a CSD Recreation Staff Picnic/Shoot. 18 CSD staff members attended and all reported having a great time. The event served to further cement our relationship with the CSD organization and prompted a request to partner with them in hosting another Olympic Day or similar activity, perhaps in early September. They would also like to be included in planning for the eventual “grand opening” of the new storage building.

VIII. Maintenance Projects
a) Mr. Landon related that the rains have continued to take a severe toll on the hay backer bales and those at targets #20, 11 and 12 are in dire need of replacement. Inspection of the rest of the Range also revealed that work on the wooden frames is needed. He will try to schedule a Work Day to get these tasks taken care of.
b) Mr. Segura related that spraying for weed abatement was completed and various spots adjacent to the roadway or signage were weed whacked. Additional attention will be necessary at other locations, as the extra rainfall has spurred weed growth and not all areas were treated.

IX. Good of the Order
a) Mr. Segura recounted conversations with various new members who wish to help with maintenance but cannot normally attend Work Days due to family or work commitments. A discussion ensued regarding ways in which these volunteer efforts can be utilized. It was suggested that Mr. Landon might develop and post a list of necessary repairs/tasks for which members can individually volunteer. In order to receive work credit, they will need to coordinate the work with him; he will subsequently report applicable credit to the Secretary.
b) Mr. Myers cautioned that we are getting many reports of rattlesnakes. Members are urged to be careful when retrieving arrows or walking in rocky or brushy areas. He also related that two turkeys have been found wounded by arrows and had to be put down. All wildlife on the Range is protected and it is illegal to shoot at any live animal on the facility. He will post an appropriate notice/warning on the Facebook page and asked that members who see this type of behavior take steps to correct or report it.

X. Adjournment
Vice President Myers adjourned the meeting at 7:35 PM.

March 2019

I. Call to Order
The meeting was held at Steve’s Pizza, 3941 Park Dr #100, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762. The meeting was called to order at approximately 6:50 PM.

II. Attendance
The following Board members were in attendance: President Bill Peterson, Vice President James Myers, Range Manager Greg Landon, Treasurer Glenda Chastain, Secretary Sal Segura and Member-at-Large Tom Grube. Members Joe Pettus, Pete Johnson, Dan Healy, Jessica Apfel and Ryan Joseph were also in attendance.

III. Secretary’s Report
The Club has accrued an additional 12 memberships since the last meeting. The breakdown is as follows:
Adult Family Senior Youth Life/Board
5 5 2 0 0
These included 5 dependent members bringing the Club totals to 182 memberships, representing 330 members/dependents. Based upon historical records, membership is well ahead of recent years. It is surmised that additional social media exposure and representation at community events has helped to improve this year’s results. We continue to have delays in submittal of required application paperwork. Follow-up indicates there is confusion involving the input required to effect PayPal payments on the website. Applicants who fail to read the instructions believe the PayPal entries complete the application process. At this point, there are three paid memberships pending for this reason.

IV. Treasurer’s Report
Ms. Chastain provided an overview proceeds from the Open Shoot. Registration, food sales and drawings netted a modest profit for the Club in spite of the poor weather. Of special note was the equipment donation from past members, Harley and Sharon McGee, which was offered in a drawing and comprised almost one-third of event profits. Ms. Chastain indicated that the Club is seeing an overall increase in both dues and Frog income. Significant expenses this past period included final payments for the Club Dinner, withdrawals for the Open Shoot set-up and final payments for purchase and repair of the 3D Targets. The Club also continues to make necessary installments towards the new storage building.

V. Old Business
a) Mr. Peterson reported on progress of the new storage building. We are awaiting bids from several concrete contractors for the foundation slab and member contacts are expected to yield reductions in the cost of concrete, reinforcement steel and concrete pumping. Mr. Peterson outlined significant, additional costs which will be incurred as we continue with the building and provided a summary of anticipated, routine Range maintenance expenditures and
income for the remainder of the year. Based upon the cost of permits, materials and labor, the Club’s coffers may be challenged and result in the need to delay or minimize some of these maintenance projects. There was considerable discussion on which tasks might be postponed, as well as how building costs might be further reduced, including approaching members who might be associated with the necessary trades and services. Mr. Peterson said he will continue to solicit reductions or donations in material/labor wherever possible, and the Club will emphasize reliance on volunteer labor as often as it can. He also indicated that the Club is continuing to work with El Dorado County Supervisor John Hidhal to have county permit costs waived or reduced.
b) Smarter Archers – Mr. Peterson related that these training sessions will resume, now that the Open Shoot and Train-to-Hunt events are nearly concluded. The next session will be on Bare Shaft Tuning. A tentative date of April 3 rd was selected for the class.

VI. New Business
No new issues were brought forward.

VII. Events
a) Mr. Peterson and Mr. Myers complimented all those involved in the Open Shoot, as it went very smoothly. Approximately 135 participants attended, and all feedback was very positive, despite the wet weather. Special kudos were given to Ms. Apfel and Mr. Joseph, who were able to quickly set up accurate registration and scoring systems; to Sportsman’s Outlet, Wilderness Archery and Iron Hub Winery for their donations; and, as previously mentioned by Ms. Chastain, to the McGees for their equipment donation.
b) Mr. Myers reported on arrangements for the Train-to-Hunt Event, slated for March 22-24th . Although registration has been slow, the coordinators indicate that first events are typically low in attendance and registration typically speeds up during the week prior – they are still enthusiastic about moving forward. James provided an overview of the event schedule: 1 st day will include a run-and-shoot segment; the 2 nd will include physical and hunting challenges. He also discussed logistics and covered the roles Club volunteers will be filling, which include not only set-up/break down, but service as judges and in concessions.
c) CSD Archery Instruction – Mr. Myers reminded members that classes have been
scheduled for March 16 and April 13, with more expected in May and August. Registration is through the CSD Recreation Center.

VIII. Maintenance Projects
a) Target Maintenance – Following the Open Shoot and continuing storms, most targets were in dire need of replacement. Members Dan Healy and Dennis Sorensen combed the entire Range and replaced all targets during the past week.
b) As with the targets, the storms and constant use have taken their toll on the backing bales of hay. There was discussion about needing to replace all 154 bales pending the return of good weather, perhaps in May. Mr. Landon will arrange additional Work Days for this purpose.
c) Our backhoe operator, Mr. Mark Odlin, while assisting with a vehicle rescue on the Range, noted that there are several soft spots developing on the access road. He suggested purchasing and spreading a transfer load of road base, in the near future, to avoid further damage and road wash-outs.
d) Mr. Peterson related that Member Jason Spears continues to work on fabricating a replacement lock assembly which adapts to the new, required Fire Department locks at the entrance gate.

IX. Good of the Order
Mr. Peterson reminded all of his impending vacation. In his absence, Mr. Myers will handle routine Club business, Mr. Pettus will continue to work with the county in acquiring the new building permits and Mr. Gragg will handle construction-related tasks.

X. Adjournment
President Peterson adjourned the meeting at 8:15 PM.

February 2019

El Dorado Hills Bowmen
Meeting Minutes
February 13, 2019

Call to Order

  • The meeting was held at Steve’s Pizza, 3941 Park Dr #100, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762. The meeting was called to order at approximately 6:50 PM.

Attendance

  • The following Board members were in attendance: President Bill Peterson, Vice President James Myers, Range Manager Greg Landon, Treasurer Glenda Chastain, Secretary Sal Segura and Member-at-Large Tom Grube. Members Scott Smith, Dan Healy and Ryan Joseph were
    also in attendance.

Secretary Report

  • The Club has accrued an additional 42 memberships since the last meeting. The breakdown is as follows:
    Adult Family Senior Youth Life/Board
    22 8 10 0 2

    There are now a total of 168 memberships, representing 308 members/dependents. 24 memberships are new and 144 are renewals.

    Five paid memberships are pending processing, due to failure of the paying party submitting the required Application or Renewal Form. Mr. Segura explained that even if the member is renewing, the forms are necessary to update changes in contact information, number of dependents, etc. This issue will eventually be resolved by integrating application/renewal information into the electronic payment system.

Treasurer Report

  • Ms. Chastain updated members on the status of the various Club accounts. Although Frog donation totals were not yet available, it appears there is a significant increase over the same time last year.
  • Expenses included a small donation to the CHS FCCLA, who provided and served an excellent meal at the Awards Dinner, a variety of costs for Range and target preparation and maintenance. Construction-related billings have also begun to come in. The $8,000 expenditure for updating 3D targets has not yet been processed.
  • Mr. Peterson listed other pending costs incurred in completing Phase 1 of construction of the storage building. While the bills from the two major contractors, (Veerkamp and Younghdal) have not yet been received, he believes they may likely include adjustments for the Club’s non-profit status.
  • Mr. Peterson also related that the transition to the El Dorado Hills (EDH) Promise Foundation is complete. This change will strengthen the connection between the Bowmen and the Community Services District (CSD), as well as the local community.

Old Business

    • Web Enhancement – Mr. Joseph related that work continues on the on-line Application/Renewal processes.
    • 3D Targets. Mr. Landon reported the arrival of the last of the new 3D targets. They are a tremendous improvement, and most will be much easier to repair that their previous counterparts.
    • Storage Building Excavation/Construction – Mr. Peterson reported that the fill and grading processes were complete. Although the estimates for fill requirements were significantly short, quick thinking and cooperation from Veerkamp representatives prevented additional delays. Once the necessary run-off/drain precautions were taken care of, the County conducted a final inspection, clearing the Club for Phase 2 of construction. Mr. Peterson thanked Veerkamp Engineering and Youngdahl Consulting for their assistance. Both companies have been invited to a Bowmen-hosted Family/Team Building Day to show the Club’s gratitude.

      Member Tom Brower has secured services of a concrete pumping service and the Club is in the process of identifying contractors to pour the building footings and floor slab. Construction documents are also being prepared and it is anticipated an application for the building permit will be submitted in the next two weeks. To this end, members Peterson, Pettus and Segura met with County District I Supervisor John Hidahl, who committed to assisting in navigating the County permitting and fee processes. Mr. Peterson and Mr. Pettus subsequently met with County Building Planning staff, who seemed more amiable towards the project than on previous
      occasions.
      Mr. Peterson praised Joe Pettus for his negotiating skills, which secured a suitable building at the significantly reduced price of $22,000. A deposit has been made towards its purchase. A variety of documents pertaining to the specifics of the building were available during the meeting for member perusal.

      Mr. Peterson related he will be out of the area for an extended period. In his absence, Mr. Kerry Gragg will assume oversight and keep the project moving forward.

    • Smarter Archers – Given the attention required for other projects and events, these workshops have been placed on hold. The Club plans to resume them after the Annual Open Shoot and Train to Hunt (TTH) events have concluded.
    • Broadhead League – Mr. Peterson related the meeting on January 23 only had five members in attendance. It was determined that the lack of necessary involvement renders resurrection of the League and regular broadhead shoots unviable. Instead, the Club will attempt to schedule two Saturday “Broadhead Sight-In” events in July, prior to the start of hunting season.

New Business

    • No new issues were discussed.

Events

    • CSD Archery Instruction – Mr. Myers related that these training sessions would resume, with classes presently scheduled for March 16 and April 13, with more expected in May and August. Registration is through the CSD Recreation Center. James encouraged members wanting to get involved in instruction to attend and assist, when available.

      Mr. Myers also discussed pending updates to the CSD Recreation contract under which the Club provides instruction. The new contract will increase the share of the $35/student charge relegated to the Bowmen.

    • Annual 3D Open Club Tournament – Mr. Myers and Mr. Landon updated members on progress towards the 3D Shoot slated from March 1st – 3rd. Thanks were expressed to the volunteers who participated in various Work Days scheduled over the past months. As a result of their efforts, most preparatory tasks needed to get the Range and targets in shape have been completed. Mr. Myers also related that members have “stepped up” to lead the Target Preparation/Repair/Set Up; Registration; and Concessions groups during the event; however, this is the Club’s main fund-raiser and additional volunteers will be essential to its success. Members are asked to contact Mr. Landon or Mr. Meyers if interested in participating in any capacity.

      Staging will begin on Friday at 9:00 AM; Saturday will be the free, members-only Club Shoot from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM, followed by a BBQ/Social Event; and Sunday will be the Open Shoot. Additional details concerning parking, shooting stations, communication, etc., were discussed. Members were asked to, “spread the word” about the event, whenever and wherever possible.

    • Regional Train to Hunt Competition – Mr. Myers reported that this event, slated for March 22nd -24th, presently has 27 participants registered (requires a minimum of 30). However, it is typical for participants to delay enrollment until just before the event and TTH representatives are confident the event will move forward. The contract between TTH and the Bowmen is underway. While TTH will handle most operations, the Bowmen will need to supply 10 volunteers on Saturday and Sunday.

Maintenance Projects

    • Target Maintenance – Heavy storms over the past month took a severe toll on all posted targets. Member Dennis Sorenson has volunteered to help with a complete overhaul.
    • Additional Work Days – Mr. Landon surmised that the Club may be sufficiently caught up to avoid scheduling an additional Work Day prior to the Open Shoot. To date, over 60 targets have been prepared/updated, distance/station markers have been spruced up/replaced and, one of the most previously time-consuming tasks: weed eradication, has been minimized through pre-emergent spraying. Kudos are in order to members Landon, Myers, Pettus and others who have dedicated individual time for the many, behind-the-scene tasks which keep the Range and associated equipment in good shape!
    • Mr. Peterson reported that the gate lock assembly was recently broken and had to be replaced. This entailed coordination with the EDH Fire Department, since the emergency access Knox Lock could not be removed, and replacement requires a permit. A new Knox Lock has been purchased and Member Jason Spears is assisting with manufacturing a replacement lock assembly.

Miscellaneous/Good of the Order

  • Members asked when the next pre-emergent application will take place. Mr. Peterson responded that it will be sometime in May.
  • Mr. Landon asked if members might be interested in group travel to the various shoots being held throughout the region. Several in attendance indicated they would like to travel together. Mr. Landon was asked to provide a list of potential events for consideration.
  • Mr. Myers reported on various requests from schools and other organizations to use the Range and/or for instruction. Unfortunately, most are for training to be held during the week and are difficult to accommodate, due to the volunteer nature of our instructors. Additionally, given the ongoing focus on the Open Shoot and TTH event, it was decided the Club should avoid committing to additional training until April or May.

Adjournment

  • President Peterson adjourned the meeting at 7:50 PM.

January 2019

El Dorado Hills Bowmen
Meeting Minutes
January 9, 2019

Call to Order

  • The meeting was held at Steve’s Pizza, 3941 Park Dr #100, El Dorado Hills, CA 95762. After some mingling, President Bill Peterson called the meeting to order at approximately 6:38 PM.

Attendance

  • The following Board members were in attendance: President Bill Peterson, Range Manager Greg Landon, Treasurer Glenda Chastain, Secretary Sal Segura and Member-at-Large Joe Pettus. 
  • Club Members Jessica Apfel, Ryan Joseph, Scott Smith, Dub Roberts, Jason Spears, Pete Johnson, Dave McReynolds, Jerry Clouser and Dan Healy were also present. The Club welcomed new member, Neal Takahashi to the Club.

Secretary Report

  • Mr. Segura reported that renewals had slowed to a trickle. In addition to renewals, we have 13 new memberships. The Club stands at a total of 128 memberships, which break down as follows:
    Adult Family Senior Youth Life/Board
    22 36 59 0 11

    These memberships include 94 dependents.

    Mr. Segura related that the PayPal payment option is posing challenges, since the application/renewal documents are not always submitted/returned as required. Maintaining the Member Roster up-to-date is critical; therefore, he will not distribute Membership Packages until the proper form/information is received. As an interim measure, an Application/Renewal Form Word Template has been created and posted to the website. This allow new/returning members to email the necessary form to accompany payment. The form can also be printed out and mailed.

    Sal also provided an overview of the Membership Package contents, which have been expanded to include flyers on Range Rules, a Range Map, target scoring criteria, etc. It is hoped this additional information will be of help to new members. Also included in the packet is a flyer for the annual Awards Dinner.

Treasurer Report

  • Ms. Chastain provided an overview of Club’s financial status. Frog donations totaled approximately $1,400 over the prior 12 months. Expenses for this past month included various reimbursements to Board members for out-of-pocket expenses, insurance premiums, port-a-potty maintenance and costs for weed control. She also commented on the per transaction cost of using PayPal and Credit Card means of payment through the website. 
  • Ms. Chastain also related that the Club’s bank, El Dorado Savings, has been purchased by Pacific Western Bank. This will result in necessary administrative changes and adjustments to book-keeping and accounting procedures.
  • President Peterson reported on the outcome of the EDH Bowmen Charitable Foundation fund, which received over $1,200 in donations and was matched for a net total of over $2,500. Our heartfelt thanks to the anonymous benefactor!

    Bill also related that following the December vote, approximately $8,000 had been spent on 3D targets and that we have approximately $10,000 in impending charges for fill, compaction, testing and grading in preparation for the new Storage Building.

Old Business

    • Web Enhancement – Ms. Apfel and Mr. Joseph reported that work continues on the on-line Application/Renewal processes. A test site is up and running but debugging is still being conducted. They invited members to help them test the system and identify problems before release of the program. Mr. Peterson expressed his desire to continue the forward momentum with the aim of eventually completing a whole-scale revamp of the website and its contents.
    • 3D Targets. Mr. Landon reported on the status of the new 3D targets. As a result of a manufacturer-direct purchase, the Club procured an additional two targets and several extra cores at no cost! Delivery is expected Monday or Tuesday (week of January 14th).
    • Storage Building Excavation/Construction – –It was hoped fill and grading would take place January 4-9. Unfortunately, after making necessary announcements and closing the Range, fill delivery was abruptly cancelled due to concerns about over-saturation. Heavy rains will continue to delay this initial work but grading should start as soon we have a dry spell. The Range will be closed to all traffic while the work is conducted. Members will receive MailChip notices and the closures will continue to be posted to the website.
    • Smarter Archers – The Club is soliciting member input on the type of classes/instruction/discussions it should host at these workshops. Please contact Mr. Peterson with your suggestions or if you are interested in leading a session. The next event will likely be held in February. Notice will be provided through email and the website.
    • Broadhead League – The Club has not had an active Broadhead League for over two years, and sporadic interest has been voiced in resuming it. A meeting has been scheduled for January 23rd, at 6:30 PM, at the Clubhouse. This is an opportunity for those interested in resurrecting the League to provide input. Unfortunately, despite the interest voiced in the past, the participation necessary to organize and set the Range up for this activity has not materialized. This meeting will determine whether the Club should continue to spend further time/resources on this topic.

New Business

    • Now that the first stages of construction have been tentatively scheduled for the new Storage Building, shopping for a suitable structure and pad construction are next on the agenda. While specific Club members have been intimately involved in the project, Mr. Peterson encouraged all members to participate with ideas and recommendations. The Club authorized $35,000 for this project and the contractors and community, especially Mr. Veerkamp, have been very generous in discounting the cost of their services. We hope to use volunteers in the stages ahead, to continue to help keep costs down.
    • Despite signs posted throughout the facility, there is concern that unauthorized use of broadheads is causing damage to the backer bales and targets, resulting in the need for more frequent replacement. A recent email asked members not to participate in this activity and to discourage it when witnessed. The membership engaged in a considerable amount of discussion regarding use of broadheads, and options for facilitating their use on the Range, including creation of a target pit. In the end, it was determined that because of other pending projects and activities, revival of the Broadhead League is the best option to enable broadheads to be shot on the facility. Unfortunately, the Broadhead League will only resume if volunteers commit to doing the work and preparation necessary to resurrect it.
    • Target Auction Results – Mr. Peterson reported that Saturday’s auction of old 3D targets netted just over $800. The sale was deemed very successful, in spite of the rain, and cleared a significant amount of the Club’s very limited storage space.

Events

    • Sportsman’s Expo Youth Archery Booth – Mr. Peterson related that we have 11 volunteers for this event. He would like to have a total of 18 to 20 to allow staffing in two-hour-shifts, enabling volunteers to explore the grounds and exhibits during their off time. Volunteers will meet at the main entrance to Cal Expo on Sunday January 20th at 9:00 AM to obtain passes and additional instructions.
    • EDH Bowmen Annual Dinner Social – Ms. Chastain reported that only 14 couples have responded at this point. She provided additional details regarding the menu and encouraged members present to spread the word, as we will need to have a count of attendees for food preparation. The dinner will take place on Saturday Jan 26th, at the American River Grange Hall in Rancho Cordova. Social hour will start at 6:00 PM and dinner will be served at 7:00 PM. Cost remains at $20 for adults and older children; $14 for children 12 and under. A flyer is being included in the Renewal Membership Packets and information will be posted on the Club Website and through Facebook.
    • Annual 3D Open Club Tournament – Mr. Peterson reminded members of the 3D Shoot slated from March 1st –3rd. Staging will be on Friday; Saturday will be the free Club Shoot; and Sunday will be the Open. Volunteers are needed for a variety of tasks. Please contact Mr. Landon and Mr. Meyers if interested in Target Preparation/Repair/Set Up; Ms. Chastain and Mr. Peterson for Registration; and Mr. Grube and Mr. Smith for Concessions.
    • Regional “Train to Hunt” Competition – President Peterson reported that this event, slated for March 22nd -24th, is being heavily advertised in Oregon and is receiving National exposure. The Club stands to profit not only from the promotion, but monetarily, from concession sales and a percentage of attendance fees. Once again, volunteers will be needed to ensure its success.

Maintenance Projects

    • Target Maintenance – Thanks, once again, to Scott Smith for leading the effort on this critical activity. He and Mr. Landon are working on creating a new system to divvy out this work and include other volunteers. This task requires basic knowledge of how/where to post hunter v. field targets, rotation schedules, etc., since there is a potential for loss of National Field Archery Association certification if the Range does not meet certain criteria. It was decided that Greg and Scott will develop an outline of duties and processes then hold a meeting of volunteers to ensure proper coordination and posting.
    • Workdays for Tournament and Target Preparation – Mr. Landon reported on the success of the December 29th Work Day. Many 3D targets were repaired, repainted and renumbered. Unfortunately, several targets need new cores, which had not yet arrived; however, a majority of the necessary work was completed. A second Work Day will be scheduled to finish this task.
    • Target Markers – Mr. Pettus recently surveyed yardage markers throughout the Range. These will be replaced and repainted soon and should be finished before the Open Shoot and Train-to-Hunt events. Thank, Joe, for your prolific application of the paintbrush on benches, signs, etc.
    • Weed Abatement – The season’s final application of pre-emergent is complete. The next application will take place sometime in Spring.

Miscellaneous/Good of the Order

  • Mr. Peterson reported that he has now been trained on MailChimp. This will lighten the burden on other Board members who have traditionally handled the task but are short on time. As a result of Bill’s renewed skills, the membership is likely to see more notices and updates to activities. Members are strongly encouraged to subscribe to the Club’s email notices as this is a primary means to ensure updated information on Club events and Range status.

Adjournment

  • President Peterson adjourned the meeting at 7:57 PM.

December 2018 Meeting Minutes

El Dorado Hills Bowmen
Meeting Minutes
December 12, 2018

Call to Order – The meeting was held at the EDH Bowmen Clubhouse, located at 3321 El Dorado Hills Blvd., El Dorado Hills, CA 95762. President Bill Peterson called the meeting to order at approximately 6:03 PM.

Attendance – The following Board members were in attendance: President Bill Peterson, Range Manager Greg Landon, First Vice President James Meyers, Treasurer Glenda Chastain, Secretary Sal Segura and Members-at-Large Tom Grube and Joe Pettus.
Club Members Jessica Apfel, Ryan Joseph, Daniel LaSage, Scott Smith and Dan Healy were also present. In addition, Mr. Lee Kirkpatrick, representing Cub Scout Pack 465 provided a proposal for potential use of the Range.

Secretary Report – Mr. Segura related the Club would finish the 2018 Calendar Year with 213 memberships and provided the following breakdown:

Adult Family Senior Youth Life/Board
31 77 86 2 17

These memberships included 330 dependent members, representing a total of 543 individuals.
Mr. Segura added that 2019 Renewal Forms were mailed during the last week of November/first week of December and were starting to trickle back in. The present-day counts are:

Adult Family Senior Youth Life/Board
5 8 27 0 3

These memberships include 24 dependent members.

Treasurer Report – Ms. Chastain provided an overview of Club finances, including income from membership dues and Frog donations. Expenses this month included supplemental insurance costs incurred as a result of addressing El Dorado Hills Community Services District concerns over the amount of liability coverage.
President Peterson summarized significant impending expenses, the most noteworthy related to continuing construction of the Storage Building. He emphasized that costs for the latter have been reduced significantly through the generosity of Mr. Doug Veerkamp of Veerkamp Engineering.
Members were reminded of the EDH Bowmen Charitable Foundation and of the fund-matching program that had been in place, thanks to an anonymous benefactor. Mr. Peterson related that the matching program ended December 11th and he would have a final accounting of the
results by the January meeting.

Old Business

  • Web Enhancement – Mr. Myers, Ms. Apfel and Mr. Joseph described work they recently
    engaged in to take membership enrollment processes into the electronic age by enabling
    payments via the website. Both PayPal and credit card payments have been added as of the
    first week of December. Although very basic at this stage (hard copy membership forms are still required to be mailed), additional work during the next few months will enable collection of all necessary member information. After this significant update is complete, the group will look at a total revamp of the Website to update and make it more dynamic. President Peterson thanked everyone for their efforts.
  • 2019 Club Officers. President Peterson reported that though this topic was discussed
    during the November meeting, there were insufficient Board members available to form the
    quorum required to confirm and install the nominees. Accordingly, he asked for a vote to make
    the following Board nominations official:

    • President – Bill Peterson
    • Treasurer – Glenda Chastain
    • 1st VP Events – James Myers
    • Range Manager – Greg Landon
    • Secretary – Sal Segura
    • Member-at-Large – Tom Grube
    • Member-at-Large – Joe Pettus

    The nominees were voted in unanimously. Mr. Peterson made note of the remaining openings for 2nd VP Publicity and for a Member-at-Large and emphasized his desire to refill all positions in order to avoid overburdening existing representatives. Those interested may contact him directly.

  • Storage Building Excavation/Construction – Mr. Peterson explained that the Club has
    contracted for engineering needs and secured necessary permits for site preparation to begin. Excavation and fill will start as soon as the rains and ground saturation allow. He indicated that Veerkamp Engineering has very generously discounted the cost of grading/compacting and that Stumpf Rock, Sand and Gravel will provide the necessary engineered fill. The Range will be closed to all traffic while the work is conducted.
  • Smarter Archers – The Club will continue in its efforts to hold discussions/instruction on
    archery-related topics. These will include bow adjustments, arrow selection, equipment repairs, etc. These gatherings are intended not only to assist those new to the sport, but to allow more experienced members to share their knowledge and for Club members to get to know one another. Notices about planned topics and dates will be shared via email and the website.
  • Broadhead League – There is continued interest in resuming this league; however, there
    are presently not enough members willing to involve themselves in the work necessary to get it re-started. Mr. Peterson will be inviting those interested to meet in January. The meeting results will determine if there is enough enthusiasm and commitment to warrant moving forward.

New Business

    • 3D Targets – Mr. Landon and Mr. Myers reported on their recent survey of the Club’s 3D targets. Most of the Club’s stock is comprised of older Ragland targets, which are in various states of disrepair. It was determined that to continue to conduct 3D fund-raising events, it will be necessary to replace at least 5 large targets and many target cores. Further, because many of the Ragland targets do not include replaceable cores, or are otherwise beyond reasonable repair, it was proposed they gradually be replaced with Reinhart or McKenzie brand targets, which are tougher and more easily repaired. Mr. Landon provided an estimated cost of approximately $8,000 to effect the purchase and repairs. Significant discussion ensued, during which it was explained that past annual expenditures for this type of purchase have averaged in the range of $3-5,000. For various reasons, the Club has not kept up with replacements during the past two years, thus increasing this year’s price. Systematic replacement of damaged targets in the future will even out costs.

Mr. Peterson asked for a vote on the proposed expenditure. The expenditure was approved.

  • Mr. Lee Kirkpatrick, representing Cub Scout Pack 465 addressed the membership. He has taken on the task of developing a Shooting Sports Program with the Boy Scout District/Golden Empire Council. He has started the program by introducing the scouts to air rifle competition but hopes to soon expand to archery. Once started, it is his hope to have weekly shooting sessions at the EDH Bowmen Range. The membership generally approved of his endeavor and encouraged him to return when the program is ready to get underway.

Events

    • The California Bow Hunters/State Archery Association (CBH/SAA) Big Game Club Banquet and Award Dinner will be held this year at the Courtyard by Marriott, Sacramento. President Peterson will attend and represent the Club. He encouraged others to take this opportunity to learn more about the CBH/SAA organization, which offers a variety of potential benefits to both individual and Club affiliation.
    • Sportsman’s Expo Youth Archery Booth – This event will be held at Cal Expo on Sunday January 20th. As in the past, the Maya Archery Club has organized the archery community’s representation and kindly included our Club. The Club will be offering archery lessons to youth attendees. A minimum of 8 members will staff the booth. We are hoping for at least 12 to 15 volunteers, which will allow for breaks and for participating Club members to tour the event during their “off” time.
    • EDH Bowmen Annual Dinner Social – Ms. Chastain provided details regarding this event, which will take place on Saturday Jan 26th, at the American River Grange Hall in Rancho Cordova. Social hour will start at 6:00 PM and dinner served at 7:00 PM. Cost remains at $20 for adults and older children; $14 for children 12 and under. A flyer is being included in the Renewal Membership Packets and information will be posted on the Club Website and through Facebook.
    • Annual 3D Open Club Tournament – Mr. Meyers reminded members of the impending 3D Shoot slated from March 3rd – 5th. Staging will begin March 1st. Mr. Meyers asked for volunteers to head up three divisions of tasks: Target Preparation/Repair/Set Up, Registration, and Concessions. After discussion, it was agreed Mr. Meyers and Mr. Landon will oversee Targets; Ms. Chastain and Mr. Peterson Registration; and Mr. Grube and Mr. Smith Concessions. It was stressed that many, many more volunteers will be needed to continue to make this event successful.
    • Regional “Train to Hunt” Competition – Mr. Meyers reported that the Club will be hosting the first Train to Hunt event on the West Coast. This competition will take place from March 22nd -24th.and is already drawing considerable attention, as indicated by the over 5,000 Facebook “hits” received on the Club page. While event organizers will oversee most preparation and event operations, the Club need to supply several targets and at least 10 volunteers. We will be compensated for use of the facility/volunteers based upon the number of competitors. In addition, there are various opportunities to take advantage of the event’s popularity and crowds to raise additional funds through concessions and other activities.

Members discussed other possible means to enhance the experience for competitors, spectators and our membership.

Maintenance Projects

  • Weed Abatement – Mr. Peterson related that weed spraying took place on December 6 – 7. This year, spraying was expanded due to the success and reduced labor experienced after last season’s application.
  • Cardboard Targets – Member Scott Smith was recognized again for his continued dedication in ensuring paper targets throughout the Range remain in good condition. We’ve had some issues in scheduling and organizing volunteer help in the past. Mr. Landon and Mr. Smith will continue to explore ways to address this important task. On a related note, the Club has switched to a program of purchasing pre-glued targets and received its first shipment.
  • Mr. Landon reported that although the purchase of the 3D targets was approved, there is a need to update and maintain existing targets. Many need scoring rings marked/repainted and miscellaneous repairs. This will be critical considering the upcoming Club Open Shoot and Train to Hunt events. Keep an eye out for announcement of Work Days to effect these repairs!

General Discussion/Good of the Order

    • Mr. Peterson thanked all for their participation in the Zombie Shoot, held in October. It was very well attended and an excellent means to make the community aware of and encourage involvement in the Club. He indicated that the supplies of soft drinks purchased for this and prior events had not yet been consumed and encouraged members to take some home, in order to help clear out storage space in the clubhouse.
    • Mr. Grube announced that a neighbor had donated some aluminum arrows and compound bows to the Club. Though dated, they are in useable condition. Members interested in them may contact a member of the Board.

Adjournment
President Peterson adjourned the meeting at 7:56 PM.

May 2018

El Dorado Hills Bowmen
Club & Board Meeting Agenda
May 9, 2018

PROCEDURES

Treasurer Report –

Membership Report –

EDH Bowmen Secretary – On April 25, 2018 a notice was e-mailed to all members notifying that the club office of Secretary would be soon vacated due to Dave and Sonia Powaser relocating to Alabama this summer. Volunteers were solicited to fill the vacancy. SAL SEGURA was the sole member offering to fill this important position. Additional nominations will be accepted at this meeting followed by a club vote to fill the Secretary position.

Web Page Enhancements – Ryan & Jessica are currently investigating ways that we can accept application AND PAYMENTS on our WEB site. Kris Selberg and James Myers are working to establish an EDH Bowman PayPal account to accept dues on line.

EDH Promise Foundation – The EDH Bowmen have been approached by the EDH Promise Foundation to switch from our current El Dorado Community Foundation to the EDH Promise Foundation. James Myers, Joe Pettus and Bill Peterson recently met with Allan Priest of the Promise Foundation and came away feeling positive about a possible switch if certain issues can be clarified.

EVENTS

Club Social/Fund Raiser at 36 Handles Pub – Wednesday 6 June 2018. The club will receive 20% of food and drink purchase by patrons who mention the El Dorado Hills Bowmen. While the promotion runs from 10am to 10pm, we encourage members and their friends to gather around 6pm for a social event to swap stories and good times.

36 Handles Pub and Eatery
1010 White Rock Road
El Dorado Hills.

Try Archery – the one-day archery classes offered by EDH CSD will be conducted on Saturdays June2, July7, and August 4. These classes are conducted by EDH Bowmen members, USA Archery certified instructors, James Myers (lead instructor), Law Welsh, Dave McReynolds, and Bill Peterson.

USA Archery Instructor Certification Class – On May 6, members JOE PETTUS and SCOT SMITH earned their Level 1 Instructor certificates from USA ARCHERY.
If you are interested in becoming part of the instructor team for the CSD “Try Archery” program, see James Myers and the Club will assist in the certification expense.

Girl Scout Training – On Friday , April 27,2018, JAMES MYERS volunteered to provide archery instruction for 16 Girl Scouts from Troop 2602.

DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Additional Youth Archery Equipment – The EDH Bowmen Board approved the purchase of four new bows ($531) to augment our equipment used for community instruction programs. We also received a donation of additional arrows and arm guards
  • Workday Waste Box Expense – Previously, El Dorado Waste provided complimentary 30yd waste disposal boxes for our workdays. That has changed and we paid $495 for the box at our last workday. We are currently submitting applications for restoration of the complimentary disposal boxes at future workdays.
  • Storage Building Approval Process – On April 24, 2018, Joe Pettus and Bill Peterson met with a CSD representative, the CSD Arborist, and a civil engineer to review the proposed “Target 14” location for the new storage shed. During the on site discussion, this proposed location was withdrawn due to excavation grade and tree proximity problems. A location adjacent to the existing wooden storage buildings was then reviewed and found acceptable to all parties. Aerial photos showing the newly submitted location are posted at the range. A subsequent visit to the County Planning Department in Placerville determined that the project is appropriate for the zoning and need not be submitted to the planning department for approval.
    A revised proposal was submitted to CSD on April 28. We are hopeful for CSD approval by the end of May.
  • Paper Target Replacement Plan – Our thanks to returning member SCOTT SMITH, who has been regularly replacing paper targets through out the range. We have a very good team of members who have volunteered to replace paper targets on the range through out the year. We have a problem with scheduling the replacements. Range Manager Greg Landon and Scott will be working to find a better way to involve all the team members.

Range Maintenance Projects

  • Weed Control Spray – The 1st time application of pre-emergent spray last fall appears to be working very well. A “Spring Time” application is scheduled for May 9 & 10th and will require that the range be closed during the application of contact and pre-emergent spray by a licensed contractor.
  • Fire Break – The firebreak was dug on May 4, 2018. It extends the entire length of El Dorado Hills Blvd and approximately 200 yards along the north and south property lines.
    Road Culvert Installation – Additional culvert was installed along side the range entrance road enabling us to widen the path leading to Target #27.
  • Bale Replacements – Target Bale replacement occurred on April 21, 2018. Bales were replaced on the sight in range, the 20yd CSD range, Targets #7, 13, 14, 20, 27 and 28. We now have several fresh bales in storage for unplanned needs.
  • Increased Signage – The “Range Open/Range Closed “ flip sign has been replace in the lower parking lot. A no smoking sign remains to be installed at the 20yd range.
  • Individual Target Signs – At each target is a sign describing how many arrows to shoot from which color marker in order to complete a NFAA certified round. The current plastic/paper laminated signs were ravaged by the winter storms and sun exposure. We are investigating the cost of a more permanent solution.
  • Paint Shipping Container – No progress
  • Banner Posting Frame – EDH member JASON SPEAR is building a new frame to elevate the existing street side “banner positing frame” and thus eliminate the visual interference created by the new split rail fence.

April 2018

El Dorado Hills Bowmen
Club & Board Meeting Agenda
April 12, 2018

PROCEDURES

Treasurer Report –

Membership Report –

EDH Bowmen Secretary – The Bowmen have been very fortunate to have DAVE and SONIA POWASER serve on the Board performing the many duties of Club Secretary. While we are most happy for them as they relocate to Huntsville Alabama to continue an exemplary career with Aerojet, we will need to find club members to take over these most critical club tasks. It would be best if we could have a new Secretary on board for the next few months so they can learn from Dave and Sonia before they depart this summer.

If you wish to serve the club in this critical position, please contact Dave or Sonia Powaser or any Board Member.

Web Page Enhancements – Ryan & Jessica are currently investigating ways that we can accept application AND PAYMENTS on our WEB site. Kris Selberg and James Myers are working to establish an EDH Bowman PayPal account to accept dues on line.

EDH Promise Foundation – The EDH Bowmen have been approached by the EDH Promise Foundation to switch from our current El Dorado Community Foundation to the EDH Promise Foundation. James Myers, Joe Pettus and Bill Peterson recently met with Allan Priest of the Promise Foundation and came away feeling positive about a possible switch if certain issues can be clarified.

Rattlesnake Alert – The first snake sighting reported is for March 31 at Target #19. BE ALERT

EVENTS

Range Work Day – Saturday April 21,2018 New bales will be delivered for replacement of the sight in range and the 20yd CSD range.
Try Archery – the one-day archery classes offered by EDH CSD will be conducted on Saturdays April 14, May 5, June2, July7, and August 4. These classes are conducted by EDH Bowmen members, USA Archery certified instructors, James Myers (lead instructor), Law Welsh, Dave McReynolds, and Bill Peterson.

USA Archery Instructor Certification Class – EDH Bowmen member Debra Rodriguez is a USA Archery Certified Level 3 Instructor. On Sunday May 6, at the range, she will be conducting classes for archers who wish to obtain Level 1 certification under USA Archery.

If you are interested in becoming part of the instructor team for the CSD “Try Archery” program, see James Myers and the Club will assist in the certification expense.

DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • New Additional Depository. New member, JASON SPEAR, constructed a new “Frog Depository” that has been installed at the entrance to target #1. He created a very decorative frog to accept day use contributions. He generously donated all of the materials. Thank You Jason.
  • Girl Scout/EDH Bowmen Association – We have been approached by the Girl Scouts to placed on their “Vendor List” as a place where Girl Scouts units can come to learn the sport of archery and pursue merit badges. I believe it is to our benefit to be listed with Girl Scouts and further establish our connection with the community. I need to confirm, but it is my understanding that they provide the instructors and equipment while we provide validation that we carry insurance.
  • Club Social/Fundraiser – We have been approached by “39 Handles”, a local pub/restaurant in El Dorado Hills, to see if we would like to participate in an evening Social at their establishment where a portion of the food and drink receipts would be shared with the Club. It would be a good way for club members to connect while improving our treasury.
  • El Dorado Hills Bowmen 55yr Anniversary – 2018 marks the 55th year anniversary that the Bowmen have been on our range in El Dorado Hills. Would we consider another “open to the public” event, sometime this year, to celebrate this milestone?
  • Target Backstop Blankets – Lisa Pole and her JOAD organization gave us many (20+) mover’s packing blankets that they had used as backstops at one of their events. We unsuccessfully used them to backstop our Flying Pig. They have no stopping power. With Board approval I would like to either give them to members with a need or donate them to a homeless shelter.
  • Workday Waste Box Expense – In the past, as a result of our association with EDH CSD, we have received a complimentary 30yd waste box for our work days. Something has changed, and while CSD investigates, the club will need to pay $498 for the box on our 21 April work day.
  • Culvert Installation – The culvert recently installed alongside the road on the trail between Targets #27 &28 needs to be extended to better accommodate turning vehicles. If approved by the Board, we will have this work done at the same time we cut the firebreak. Estimated $400 for the culvert and $400 for the extra excavation work.
  • Storage Building Approval Process – As part of the EDH CSD review process, it was determined that the “Target #14” location will require we provide an excavation, retaining wall and drainage design prepared by a licensed engineer. We are currently contacting local engineering firms to determine the cost of preparing these documents and an estimated cost to construct their design. If this cost is prohibitive, we will discuss with CSD a plan that locates the building on the flat in the vicinity of the current container. If the target #14 location is feasible and approved by CSD, it is anticipated that we will remove 900 cubic yards of soil. Under consideration at this time is to use the soil to build up the picnic area behind the Clubhouse in preparation for a possible future picnic structure project.
  • Paper Target Replacement Plan – Our thanks to returning member SCOTT SMITH, who has been regularly replacing paper targets through out the range. We have a very good team of members who have volunteered to replace paper targets on the range through out the year. We have a problem with scheduling the replacements. Range Manager Greg Landon and Scott will be working to find a better way to involve all the team members.

Range Maintenance Projects

  • Weed Control Spray – The 1st time application of pre-emergent spray last fall appears to be working very well. A “Spring Time” application will be scheduled by our applicator and will require that the range be closed for two days during the week.
  • Fire Break – Funds have been approved to scrape a firebreak inside the new wooden fence for the entire length of El Dorado Hills Blvd and the housing property line at the north end of the range. We intend to coordinate this work so that it too can be sprayed as part of our weed control program.
  • Bale Replacements – Bale purchase and replacement is planned for April 21,2018. This will replace the bales on the sight in range, the 20yd CSD range, Target# 20, and keep several fresh bales in storage for unplanned needs.
  • creased Signage –A no smoking sign remains to be installed at the 20yd range. Plans exit to replace the “Range open/range closed” flip sign at the lower parking lot.
  • Paint Shipping Container – No progress
  • Banner Posting Frame – No Progress. Plans are under consideration to modify, or relocate, the existing street side “banner positing frame” to eliminate the visual interference created by the new split rail fence.

February 2018

El Dorado Hills Bowmen
Club & Board Meeting Agenda
February 13, 2018

PROCEDURES

Treasurer Report –

Membership Report –

EDH Promise Foundation – Status of Donations to the Foundation. The public can now make donations payable to the El Dorado Hills Bowmen, mail them to the El Dorado Community Foundation, and receive letter documenting a qualified charitable tax donation on their income tax.

Web Page Enhancements – Ryan & Jessica are currently investigating ways that we can accept application AND PAYMENTS on our WEB site. These and other exciting new possibilities will be considered at the March Board Meeting.

March Club Meeting Canceled – With all the “end of February/early March” activity, we will take a break and hold the next Club Meeting on April 11, 2018

EVENTS

Range Work Day – Sunday February 25, 2018

Open Shoot set up – Friday Mach 2, 2018

Free Club 3D shoot and Hamburgers – Saturday March 3, 2018

Open Tournament – Sunday March 4, 2018

DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Storage Building Approval Process – The construction project proposal was presented to the EDH CSD General Manager on February 5, 2018. This starts the 3-step CSD approval process. (CSD Staff, EDH Design/Review, EDH CSD Board of Directors). It is anticipated this will take 2 months after which we will initiate building purchase negotiations and obtain a El Dorado County Building Permit. If the target #14 location is approved by CSD, it is anticipated that we will remove 900 cubic yards of soil. Under consideration at this time is to use the soil to build up the picnic area behind the Clubhouse in preparation for a possible future picnic structure project.
  • Planning session for open Shoot – James has prepared a comprehensive list of tasks that need to be done. We have volunteers for half the tasks. We need to complete the list.
  • Paper Target Replacement Plan – We have a very good team of members who have volunteered to replace paper targets on the range through out the year. We have a problem with scheduling the replacements. We need to find a better way to run this program.

Range Maintenance Projects

  • Increased Signage – Three new signs have been installed on the trail to target #1 (No Smoking etc, No Crossbows etch, Welcome…feed the frog). Two no smoking signs remain to be installed at the sight in range and 20yd range. Plans exit to replace the “Range open/range closed” flip sign at the lower parking lot.
  • New Additional Depository. New member Jason Spear will be constructing a new Depository to be installed on the trail to Target #1.
  • New Banner – A new “Open Shoot” Banner was purchased and has been installed advertising the up coming shoot.
  • Weed Control Spray – The 1st time application of pre-emergent spray last fall appears to be working very well. A second application is planned for latter this spring.
  • Bale Replacements – Bale purchase and replacement is planned this spring (after the rains) for the sight in range and the 20 yd range only.
  • Paint Shipping Container – No progress
  • Banner Posting Frame – No Progress. Plans are under consideration to modify the existing street side “banner positing frame” to eliminate the visual interference created by the new split rail fence.
  • Fire Break – Funds have been approved to scrape a firebreak inside the new wooden fence for the entire length of El Dorado Hills Blvd and the housing property line at the north end of the range. Scheduled for this spring

January 2018

El Dorado Hills Bowmen
Club & Board Meeting Agenda
January 10,2018

PROCEDURES

Treasurer Report –

Membership Report –

EDH Promise Foundation – On December 19,2017, the El Dorado Hills Bowmen were accepted as a qualifying fund under the auspices of the El Dorado Community Foundation, a 501(c)3 Charitable Foundation. The public can now make donations payable to the El Dorado Hills Bowmen, mail them to the El Dorado Community Foundation, and receive letter documenting a qualified charitable tax donation on their income tax.

Archery Range Use permit between EDH CSD and EDH Bowmen was signed on November 14, 2017. The permit is valid for 10 years.

EVENTS

January Awards Dinner and Officer Installation – Saturday evening January 13, 2018

Sacramento International Sportsman Exposition – Sunday January 21,2018
We need volunteers to man the youth archery free shoot boot from 10am to 2pm on Sunday January 21, 2018. Volunteers will receive free admission and reimbursement for parking. See WEB page for details

Free Club 3D shoot and Hamburgers– Saturday March 3, 2018

Open Tournament – Sunday March 4, 2018

DISCUSSION ITEMS

  • Planning for Awards Dinner
  • Planning session for open Shoot
  • Vision for this next year.

Range Maintenance Projects

  • DONE – Re-gravel the entry road
  • DONE – Drainage Culverts – At the same time the road is being re-graveled, culvert will be installed at 1) the service road entering the sight in road, 2) replace the failing wooden bridge leading to target#27, and 3) to replace the slippery steep wooden bridge leading to the “frog depository”
  • DONE – Construct safety arrow stop behind Target #10
    Fire Break – Funds have been approved to scrape a firebreak inside the new wooden fence for the entire length of El Dorado Hills Blvd and the housing property line at the north end of the range. Scheduled for this spring
  • DONE – Trail Widening – Funds have been approved to widen the trail leading from Target #3 to Target #4 to accommodate ATV service traffic.
  • DONE – Pre-Emergent Spray Program – Funds have been approved to contract a one time application of pre-emergent weed control on the trails on both Field target loops (1-14 & 15-28), and other areas.
  • DONE – Repair target enclosures
  • Running Deer Target Repair– Arrow stop curtain and surplus moving pads have be obtained. New existing 3D target has been identified for use. All to be assembled and tested during work day prior to open shoot.
  • Benches – Ten benches have been replaced. Several others are scheduled for repair. In progress
  • DONEKiosk Bulletin Board at Range
  • Increased Signage – All Signs (no smoking & no broadheads etc.) have been purchased and constructed. Five signs remain to be positioned.
  • Paint Shipping Container – No progress
  • Banner Posting Frame – No Progress. Plans are under consideration to modify the existing street side “banner positing frame” to eliminate the visual interference created by the new split rail fence.